Here is the final pose/scene of the Homeless character. I will shortly be rendering a video showing a breakdown. Though some of my custom assets within the shader are broken so i have to rebuild it. Oh well, thats how things go.
PBR SKin Shader
And these are some tests i did for Dany Bittel for his new PBR Skin shader. I think i will render the entire character with the shader. Check it out here. http://www.orbolt.com/asset/_danylyon::PBR_skin
So it’ been awhile. Almost a month.
My last post had a treat enclosed, this one however has a more of a sour note for those who follow this blog. Although that isn’t many, everyone counts. I have decided to cut down on the amount of posts I make as you can already tell. It was a good experiment to do weekly updates (3 months was a good run) but I either became a slave to them and I was going to be reaching that point of quantity over quality. So from here on in, no more weekly updates. Just updates when it feels right with the right amount of content. At the very least Iwill try to keep it at one post a month but even I feel that might be a bit low so we will see how it goes from here on in, no more set deadlines for sure.
Final (Low Rez) Renders
The difference with this beard from the old one is it is control via custom sculpted guide curves (around 500). Not only is it easier to sculpt but also when it dealing with to penetrations. The curves were sculpted in Blender.
Render times kept to a minimum with the shadow volume technique that i described in my tutorial. The body hair, is pure PBR with no volume based shadows.
These pics are low rez but i am currently rendering HD turntables and camera moves, posing. Also i have been uploading all work-in-progress pictures of this character to my Google account so if you would like to view those images in the future you can do so from one place soon. It includes all images featured in the blog along with some others that have not been published.
Tutorials Response with Q/A
After the tutorial i posted i was very surprised at the response. I hope everyone who watched it gained something from it. I have decided to respond to the questions in this post, continue if you would like to see the questions and answers.
So it’s a little late i admit, but i have a treat for you.
So the past week has been interesting to say the least. Many XSI/SI users are looking for a new home. It seems Houdini looks like a viable choice for many and not only are the odforce and SESI forums more active (although they already were to be honest), there has been a vocal response from a few SESI employees stating they want to help not just by setting up a forum but also in the package. Encouraging discussion on how to improve Houdini.
Not only that, but Houdini users are also welcoming this new crowd and doing their best to help them with the transition. I have even decided to join in that effort.
A user on od|force was asking how would one go about connecting guide curves into the Fur module in Houdini. I responded with this video.
Continue to see a the breakdown of chapters.